Thursday, August 03, 2006

meme link

Question Meme- Revisit

With the question Mem, you read a question on someone's site then answer it on your own with a link back to the question. Then you can add a question of your own.

I am answering another question(s).

A bully came looking for a fight with me in jr. high school. He said mean things designed to intimidate and agitate me into a fight situation. I walked away. He pursued me, continuuing his verbal assault. I explained I did not wish to fight and continueed by retreat. It seemed that the entire school wished me fight and so surrounded me - it seems the entire school yard worth of students crowded at my back so I could no longer escape. I waited until there was no place I could go to reatreat - I punched the fellow in the nose... and then ran like hell past him. As there was no one obstructing my escape at his back, I was able to run all the way to the principal's office and explain the situation. Although the other fellow never touched me, and I had punched him, he was suspended and I was not. I felt great pride in sticking with my ideals and sticking to within the law.

I went to church camp one year and had a great time playing, learning and making friends. My cabin mates were all fanciful dreamers like me and we spent a great deal of time wishing and making vast promises for how our lives could be; how we would be successful and break convention through invention and outside the box thinking. We discussed methods of time travel and shrink rays and so forth. I believe this was my one true interaction with what I would call "the occult" as we pretended to be posessed by people from the past. It got out of hand when my colleague would not admit to be faking and claimed to be Einstein, though he couldn't speak another language or engage in mathematics or physics conversations... The attempted deception affected me deeply, "hardenning my heart" to religion and to miracle workers.

My first girlfriend dumped me. I was distraught for weeks; months; maybe years (perhaps I am still distraught by it to this day). Part of me knows how much of a jerk I had been - so thoughtless and rude at that age - and it saddens me today when I see how much of that jerk I can still be. She cheated on me, and that hurt; but as I couldn't or wouldn't give her what she needed, I blame myself for the break up... I also realize now that the relationship was very much focused on the physical side - is it possible that sexual relations can be so good, so deleriously tempting, that you can never have a real nurturing loving relationship? I can see why so many religions and philosophies teach that a person should abstain from sexual relations - either altogether or to wait until the more difficult habits of love can be formed before exploring the quick and easy physical path.

Of course I don't know that these examples represent pinacles or key moments in my life; but they certainly are the most memorable for me. I wonder if it says something that all of these take place in the first half of my life up to this point... Certainly I've had ups and downs at later points; but perhaps those successes and failures only serve to strengthen the joys and sorrows formed in these earlier years.

New Question: Where do you go when you need to be alone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home