Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hagling

I like to haggle. I don’t do it much. When I do; though; I empower myself.

I had a chance this week. My landlords wanted to increase my rent $50 unless I signed a 1 year lease. I haggled. So now I’ve got a 1 year lease; but I’m paying $10 less than I have been paying. It was beautiful. Through reason I was able to take charge of my position as a stable business partner and save myself $120 all while writing great prose in the process:

Good afternoon,
We hear what you are saying and can understand your initial hesitancy with regards to negotiating our new lease. We had based our original arrangement on a shorter lease where we were new, unestablished, renters. As we have proved ourselves as patient, stable business partners who meet their commitments consistently, and as we would be willing to commit to a full 12-month period, I hope there is room for negotiation in the monthly amount. I do realize that inflation and property taxes have increased over the course of the year, but surely this amount does not exceed the amount of good faith my family has secured with you. Would you consider an offer of $xxx a month?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home