Wednesday, August 30, 2006

FLY THE FLAG - Bah

I got this email; a chain email really, saying I should make it my duty to display the American flag on September 11th this year.

BAH

How does it honor families to wave a flag? Is losing 3000 people to terrorism bad? Sure. But why should I promote my country more because people died?

How about we honor the families by lighting a candle? Or perhaps finding a desktop theme showing the world trade center...

Or how about this? How about people pick a day to NOT speed? In 2004, 13,192 lives were lost due to speed-related accidents. This is happening every year people. Why don't we remember that first before we start remembering some terrorist attack that happened once five years ago.

If you ask me if we are going to do something to remember 9/11, maybe we should spend the day pondering why it is that certain individuals are fanatic enough to exchange themselves for a building? I'm sick to death of "because they are crazy" or "because they hate us." Neither of these answers are sufficient. Neither of these helps prevent these kinds of attacks in the future. Maybe the president is right to take over countries with fanatic friendly leaders, but I'm not going to go all ga ga over America simply because some people died. I abhor that in our mourning that some people are so manipulative or desparate as to use the death of individuals as a political rally call to promote the status quo of the nation and in blindly following its management.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home